Subject: python binary
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/10/2005 08:52:24
--nextPart2498025.uxABLK4ipE

G'day,

I've brought this up before with no real solution.

Python application usually look for

#!/usr/bin/env python

pkgsrc doesn't install a ${LOCALBASE}/bin/python but a binary that has a=20
version number attached to it. I presume that this was done to enable the=20
concurrent installation of multiple python versions. How do I deal with the=
=20
above problem when creating new packages? Is there an option that I can set=
=20
to create a link from python${PYVERSION} to python as to enable standard=20
script to find the python binary,=20

e.g. /usr/pkg/bin/python -> /usr/pkg/bin/python2.4?

I believe that it is impractical to patch hundreds of python scripts that g=
et=20
installed with packages such as GNU Radio, especially when they do the righ=
t=20
thing.

Is there a sane solution?

cheerio Berndt