Subject: Re: Use of ${PKGNAME} can lead to confusion
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2005 20:51:19
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>> PKGNAME_NOREV already exists. Since years.
>

> Then maybe use it to define DIST_SUBDIR (or whatever that variable's
> responsible for the problem you raised). What's the matter?

That most people who use ${PKGNAME} don't know that it sometimes has
"nb${PKGREVISION}" appended and sometimes does not, depending on where
you use it. Therefore it should not be used in other variables, unless
you _show_ that you know what you're doing. Writing ${PKGNAME_REV} would
indicate that you _want_ the PKGREVISION. That's why I proposed that
variable.

The discussion whether ${PKGNAME} should be used in DIST_SUBDIR or not
shows exactly that.

Roland