Subject: Re: Use of ${PKGNAME} can lead to confusion
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2005 10:25:38
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> You mean, no indication besides common sense?  There are very little
> cases where DIST_SUBDIR=${PKGNAME_NOREV} would make sense.

No, I think the other way round doesn't typically make sense.  All the cases
I can remember of:

DIST_SUBDIR=${PKGNAME}

were because the distfiles were *unversioned*, thus they had to be
downloaded into a place that disambiguated the files when they changed
[author-specified] version.  In every single such case, it really should be:

DIST_SUBDIR=${PKGNAME_NOREV}

I can't think of any cases off the top of my head where the PKGREVISION
*should* be in the DIST_SUBDIR.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>