Subject: Re: Use of ${PKGNAME} can lead to confusion
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2005 13:58:03
Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 12:46:30PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>many package authors (at least 39) assume that if they write the
>>following, the distfiles are downloaded into ${DISTDIR}/package-1.0. But
>>they are wrong.
>>
>>PKGNAME=          package-1.0
>

> You really mean PKGNAME here, not DISTNAME?
>

>>PKGREVISION=      4
>>DIST_SUBDIR=      ${PKGNAME}

Yes, I mean it. ;) I still find that the PKGNAME is more important than
the DISTNAME, and that DISTNAME should be derived from PKGNAME, not the
other way round.

> You should be aware that most (if not all) occurrences of
> "DIST_SUBDIR=${PKGNAME}" are likely to be there on purpose, because at
> least once the distfile was changed when its name didn't.

Currently there's absolutely no indication (except from "cvs log"
sometimes) whether the author intended to use PKGNAME or PKGNAME_NOREV.
That's why I proposed the PKGNAME_REV variable.

Roland