Subject: Re: [RFC] new chapter "Variable reference" for the pkgsrc guide
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/08/2005 19:10:08
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
> I'd like to add a chapter called "Variable reference" to the pkgsrc guide to
> have a place where all public variables are explained and listed
> (alphabetically and categorized).
>
> Any objections? suggestions? ideas?

When we started pkgsrc, we kept the list at the top of what's bsd.pk.mk
today. Then for some reason it was split out into the base system's
packages.7 where it's rotting right now. In addition, a number of other
files have popped up in pkgsrc/mk, which seem to be back at documenting
their variables at the top of the files.

While I think having some varible index is nice, I also think that the
actual documentation should be kept near the code, and maybe extracted
from there into the pkgsrc guide then.

Ripping things apart again just to see it rot is probably not the way to
go.

IMHO, if you want to do something useful: merge packages.7 back into
bsd.pkg.mk (other/pkgsrc PMC opinions welcome!).

  - Hubert