Subject: Re: help with man page installation for graphics/netpbm
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/07/2005 13:33:55
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> I think it's wrong to go through ~5000 pkgs now and add support for
> something that never was intended by any of the authors, just because we
> thing it's a nice feature.

Most software already has a customizable "mandir" setting or a MANDIR (or
similar) make variable whether or not they use imake, autoconf or their
own home-brewed installer.

But I do see from looking at netpbm's source that they don't make this
easy. (It has a mix and match of installation techniques.)

I will talk to netpbm developers directly instead.

> I think the question "does pkgsrc have the manpower for this" should be
> asked _before_ adding such a thing. I think the answer's obvious...
>
> (Yeah, and sorry for being negative again)

Fair enough. Note that I ignored this for several months although
I have been using my PKGMANDIR in my own pkgsrc on various machines for
around two years. I was contacted by pkgsrc-pmc and was requested to
commit this.

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/