Subject: Re: Threaded Apache and PHP
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/07/2005 15:10:54
John Klos wrote:

> I know this isn't particularly NetBSD related, but it seems that mod_php
> (4) won't load under Apache 2 compiled for workers as opposed to
> preforking.
>
> 1) Is this how it's supposed to be?

I think it's a known problem, or at least I've seen it come up on the
PHP mailing list archives.

> 2) If it is, then what's the recommended way to run php as an external
> interpreter?
>
> 3) If it's not, then how does one get a mod_php (4) which loads?
>
> 4) How are other people running very high volume Apache servers with PHP?

I think the recommended way to run very high volume Apache+PHP sites is
to use PHP FastCGI as it avoids loading a separate PHP process for each
httpd process that's forked.  I hope to get the support for this into
pkgsrc soon ("how to do it" is under some discussion at the moment).

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>