Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mail/exim
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/06/2005 02:03:40
In article <43440680.7060902@NetBSD.org> Roland wrote:
: >> There are packages that have dashes in the name. So there would be an
: >> ambiguity for options consisting of three or more words. That's why
: >> I'd like to see '-' as package-separator only.

: Please wait until I stop writing such rubbish. ;) I just proposed to use
: '-' both inside package names and after the package name.

: We have three different separators:

: sep1: inside the package name
: sep2: between the package name and the option name
: sep3: inside the option name

: sep1 should be '-', as it is already in PKGNAME.
: sep2 should be different from sep1.
: sep3 should be different from sep2.

: I suggest ':' for sep2 and '-' for sep3. This would look like:

: PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS=    exim:docs exim:docs-html exim-docs:html

  I don't think this ambiguity poses a real problem, and I would like
to avoid another user-visible rototil of the option handling.  It is
usually quite clear what is meant.  I think we should stick with `-'
as separator in option names.

  Given the rather contrived example above, what would be the meaning
of the above options?  I think names that better describe what the
options actually do would also be less ambiguous.

						yours,
						dillo