Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mail/exim
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2005 18:59:44
David Brownlee wrote:

>> s/As far as I can see/I would like to see that/ ;)
>>
>> David Brownlee wrote:
>>
>>>     Some packages use '-' to separate multiple words in an option
>>>     name. In fact I just changed exim from '_' to '-' to be more
>>>     consistant with some other packages I checked. I'm happy to
>>>     change it back, but we should have a (loud) standard and
>>>     it should be checked by pkglint.
>>

>> There are packages that have dashes in the name. So there would be an
>> ambiguity for options consisting of three or more words. That's why
>> I'd like to see '-' as package-separator only.
>

>     I would be very happy to support this. If no-one objects I'll
>     switch exim across to this tomorrow. Roland, care to update
>     the docs? :)

Please wait until I stop writing such rubbish. ;) I just proposed to use
'-' both inside package names and after the package name.

We have three different separators:

sep1: inside the package name
sep2: between the package name and the option name
sep3: inside the option name

sep1 should be '-', as it is already in PKGNAME.
sep2 should be different from sep1.
sep3 should be different from sep2.

I suggest ':' for sep2 and '-' for sep3. This would look like:

PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS=    exim:docs exim:docs-html exim-docs:html

Roland