Subject: Re: Updating GTK+ to 2.8 - some doubts
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/2005 07:21:33
On 02/10/2005, at 12:08 AM, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> The only issue I can see is that new binary packages must ensure
> that they
> require gtk 2.8.  Thus one needs to bump BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED to
> 2.8.0.  Is it?  Or is it BUILDLINK_DEPENDS?

   BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED should be fine.  This takes care of all
binaries that are uploaded onto the FTP server.  If somebody
overrides BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED and builds their binaries from
source, linking should work correctly, regardless of which version of
gtk they currently have installed.

> If bumping the recommended version, do we need to bump revisions
> for all
> packages using gtk2?  This is scary.

   If the binaries don't have to be rebuilt (i.e., if old binaries
link nicely against gtk+-2.8), then I don't think that's necessary.

> Or maybe we'd "fix" pkg-config to not list internal libraries on those
> platforms that do not require it?

   I would make that independent of gtk+.  Changing pkg-config can
have far-reaching consequences (and identifying which OS/hardware/
compiler combinations require linking against internal libraries
might be tricky).  In the long run, this is probably worth thinking
about, but for the gtk update, the side effects would probably be too
big.

   Cheers
       ,
    Rene