Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2005 18:01:20
Alistair Crooks wrote:

> So now we have a whole lot of:
>
> 	NO_BUILD=yes
>
> occurrences, which I absolutely detest - it mixes positive and
> negatives, and always forces me to think twice about what is
> happenning.

I also need to look twice when I see mixtures like that.  On this front,
I think it's past time to get rid of these NO_* variables and replace
them with positive DO_* variables, e.g.:

	NO_BUILD=yes		==>	DO_BUILD=no
	NO_CONFIGURE=yes	==>	DO_CONFIGURE=no
	NO_INSTALL=yes		==>	DO_INSTALL=no

The DO_* variables could default to "yes" so they don't need to be
explicitly set in the vast majority of cases.  This new naming
convention would avoid semantic confusion for everyone, myself included.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>