Subject: Re: [RFC] Where to put license files?
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2005 21:41:47
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
> the licenses/ directory currently holds all kinds of software licenses. Some
> of them aren't used at all in pkgsrc, while other packages have licenses that
> aren't listed in this directory.
>
> To improve the situation, I suggest that single-package licenses are
> installed in their package directory. For example, fprot-workstation-license
> should be security/fprot-workstation/bin/LICENSE, as this is the only package
> using this license.

I'm not sure that's a situation that shall be "improved".

Benefit of the current solution that I see is that
1) we have all licenses in 1 place, and can have an easy overview
2) if a second package comes up with that license, you see that
    it's already there.

I guess that esp. 2) will not be handled properly with your suggested
solution.

  - Hubert