Subject: Re: libgif vs. libungif
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2005 15:33:08
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 01:24:10AM +0200, joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:
> is there any reason to continue using libungif?
> As far I know the Unisys patent did expire some time ago,
> so can't we move back to libgif?

From

giflib is a library for reading and writing GIF files. The 4.1.3
Release is a general cleanup of bugs and hard to read code. It
syncs with the 4.1.3 release of libungif and should provide
programmers with an API and ABI compatible replacement for that
library.

giflib is able to read and write all GIF files using the LZW
algorithm patented by UniSys. Although this patent has expired in
the United States, patent searches by the FSF show that worldwide
patents exist until 2006. If you must have a patent free version
of the library, please look into libungif as a suitable replacement.

Cheers,
 Thomas