Subject: Re: optional patches?
To: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/11/2005 11:30:33
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 03:22:35PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:30:43PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > I've wanted to do this too.  Emacs needs a patch to make it play well
> > with cfs and coda.  Well, probably cfs and coda need fixing really, but
> > I'd like to have a PKG_OPTIONS.emacs=coda be able to pull in a patch that
> > disables clash detection, since those symlinks end up causing trouble.
> > Off by default, of course.   There's a similar fix for cfs, but it's
> > always applied, since it doesn't hurt.
>
> Another nice example: optionally apply BIND DLZ patches to net/bind9. :-)
>
> http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/

as others have mentioned, it becomes difficult to maintain packages
with multiple different sets of possible patches (and they don't get
built in a bulk build, so automatic testing is limited to none).

sounds like a perfect candidate for adding an additional package, which
will not interfere in any way with the original pkg.

grant.