Subject: Re: proof of concept pkg upgrading tool
To: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2005 10:11:33
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> 1) It assumes that /var/db/pkg/*/+REQUIRED_BY is valid, but unfortunately
>   this is cannot be guaranteed, especially when 'make replace' has ever
>   been used, as it effectively zaps the +REQUIRED_BY files.

This seems wrong. At least last time i looked at the 'replace' target, it
moved the +REQUIRED_BY file aside to be able to pkg_delete the pkg, but
then move it back.

My guess for the real problem at hands is that for either direction of
dependencies ("up" using +REQUIRED_BY or "down" using @depends lines and
whatnot in +CONTENTS files), they only give data for one level, and care
needs to be taken to walk the tree recursively.

AFAIK this was never implemented for the places of pkgsrc and pkg_* when
that change was made in pkgsrc, and it _may_ be the problem at hands.

  - Hubert