Subject: Re: mk/install/usergroup and FreeBSD and DragonFly
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/07/2005 11:32:13
Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> I would rather have +INSTALL unpack two sub-scripts, +ADDUSER and
> +ADDGROUP, that are wrappers for the local adduser/addgroup actions. The
> +ADDUSER script would be customized for each platform and would invoke
> the correct local commands to create local users, and similarly form
> +ADDGROUP.  We're not going to address questions like "how about if we
> keep users in LDAP or NIS" or other nonsense like that, because those
> admins just shouldn't be letting pkgsrc try to automatically create
> users and groups.

Actually, it's probably not so bad just to have shell functions defined
in a file that get directly inserted into the head of the +USERGROUP
script.  That would remove the need for the extra helper scripts.  The
file defining the shell functions useradd() and groupadd() would be
unique to each platform.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>