Subject: Re: CGI changes for the php4 and php5 packages
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/06/2005 15:46:34
On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> Also, since we install the PHP CGI binary inside the web tree of files,

Whose web tree of files?

Not everyone uses a http://hostname/cgi-bin/ pointing to
$PREFIX/libexec/cgi-bin.  I would certainly never expose *all* installed CGI
programs to every site; they only get what they use.

> Since there are already packages that build and install Apache-specific
> versions of PHP (ap-php4 and ap-php5), I think we should change the
> PHP packages to *not* configure with:
>
> 	--enable-force-cgi-redirect

This I agree with.

> 	--enable-discard-path

This I would agree with, only if it can be shown that it still works if the
PHP CGI program is run from somewhere other than the /cgi-bin/php path of a
non-Apache webserver.

> We should also build them with FastCGI support (--enable-fastcgi) to
> facilitate setting up a usable PHP installation for use with non-Apache
> web-servers.  This would also be usable by Apache if a webadmin chooses
> to use FastCGI PHP instead of mod_php.

Yes, since libfcgi is included with the package (thus this adds no more
dependencies).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>