Subject: Re: blackbox packages
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/05/2005 22:27:08
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> The two packages are likely to share a large number of files, so people
> (like me) who will want to have both versions installed have a lot of
> duplication.  One could rip out the shared files, roll a
> ``blackbox-files'' package and then only add the different binaries in
> separate packages, but that seems like a lot of overhead.
>
> Anybody has any suggestions or preferences?

I encountered a similar problem earlier today, after someone pointed out
there's "pkgsrc/*/gnumeric" and .../gnumeric14.

I think if we have/want to keep multiple versions of a software in pkgsrc,
we should care for some proper naming. What I would like to see is

  1) pkgsrc/*/foo1 (PKGNAME=1.x)
  2) pkgsrc/*/foo2 (PKGNAME=2.x)
  3) pkgsrc/*/foo (pulling in whatever the best/most stable "foo" is).

I understand that this esp. means renaming "foo" to "foo1" when adding the
2nd package, and that CVS doesn't help in any way to do this, but it would
still avoid some confusion.

Of course this situation becomes even more funny (== labour intensive) if
you have a piece of software that many modules exist for, as in your case.
(No, this is not a "let's replace CVS!" thing!!)

  - Hubert