Subject: Renaming SUBDIR to SUBDIRS?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/05/2005 14:24:18
Hi all,

currently the category Makefiles and the top-level Makefile contain many
lines of the form

     SUBDIR+=   pkgname

I would like to change all these instances to

     SUBDIRS+=  pkgname

as SUBDIR is a list of subdirectories and not the name of a single
subdirectory. Implementing that change is not hard, but convincing
old-style developers that the change is reasonable might be harder.

By the way, make(1) allows variable names longer than 6 bytes, and we
aren't on a 6-bits-per-byte, 6-bytes-per-word machine where every single
bit counts. ;)

Are there any strong objections against this change?

Roland