Subject: Re: new feature for bmake: read-only variables
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/02/2005 03:21:10
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:58:06PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>>That sounds good, so for anyone who wants to see which variables are
>>modified deep inside pkgsrc, here's the updated patch. The intended
>>usage is:
>>
>>.BEGIN_READONLY:
>>VAR= value
>>.END_READONLY:
>>
>>VAR2= value2
>>.READONLY: VAR2
>

> Do you still need the block style when working with targets anyway? You
> can just use ".READONLY: VAR VAR2"  all the time.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2005/08/25/0004.html

Yes, I do. In that example I don't want to duplicate all the
TOOLS_PLATFORM.* names just for making them read-only.

> It also avoids strange question when someone later adds an .include
> in between :-)

I think this kind of code change is detected easily and can be tracked
down well. Of course it is worth thinking about. :)

Roland