Subject: Re: a wrapper question
To: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/01/2005 20:18:42
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 09:24:34AM -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:

> I have a basic question about the wrapper framework.  On solaris
> devel/nss thinks you are using SunPRO compilers even though I'm using
> gcc on my solaris-2.9 box.  Is the correct approach to modify the
> package to try to use gcc options and then the wrapper framework can
> translate that to what SunPRO would want if you're on a system with the
> SunPRO compilers?  Or should wrapper/transform-solaris-gcc be expanded
> to try and translate the SunPRO flags to those that gcc likes?  I guess
> the problem is that you don't want to apply transform-solaris-gcc in
> this case when the build system for some package is already using gcc flags.

the SunPro wrappers are quite complete now, and should handle pretty
much anything gccish that is thrown at them.

if at all possible, we should refrain from using any compiler specific
stuff when fixing things like this.. after doing that, often things
Just Work with multiple different compilers.

if you must, though, gcc/GNU binutils options are acceptable and
should be handled properly.

grant.