Subject: perl 5.8.7, threads and NetBSD 1.6.2/i386
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/01/2005 15:33:44
I'm trying to rebuild subversion (to update to 1.2.3) and am
butting into p5-subversion needing a threaded perl.

Ok ... so I bung this into /etc/mk.conf :

PKG_OPTIONS.perl+=threads
PERL5_OPTIONS+=threads

(yeah, redundant, perl5's Makefile says use the first,
p5-subversion says use the second)

Then, try to rebuild perl :

Checking your choice of C compiler and flags for coherency...
I've tried to compile and run the following simple program:

#include <stdio.h>
int main() { printf("Ok\n"); return(0); }

I used the command:

         cc -o try -O2 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include -I/usr/pkg/include
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/pkg/include -L/usr/pkg/lib try.c -lm
-lcrypt -lpthread
          ./try

and I got the following output:

Shared object "libpthread.so.20" not found
The program compiled OK, but exited with status 1.
You have a problem.  Shall I abort Configure [y]
Ok.  Stopping Configure.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5

This is bogus, pth is installed :
pth-2.0.0nb2        GNU Portable Thread library
and :

rollcage2# locate libpthread.so.20
/usr/pkg/lib/libpthread.so.20
/usr/pkg/lib/libpthread.so.20.0.20

I've submitted a PR for the thread build problem, 31091, but
can anyone suggest what I may do to work it out myself? I've
got a fresh CVS up of pkgsrc, done a make clean at the top level
etc ....

thanks

Carl