Subject: Re: intended change of the pkglint output format
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/18/2005 07:32:54
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 02:31:45PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> Dear pkglint users,
>
> I intend to replace the strings "FATAL", "WARN" and "OK" with "error",
> "warning" and "info". If that would affect any of the programs you have
> written or if you have any other objections to this change, please raise
> your hand now.

Hmmm.

> The rationale for this change is:
>
> - I find the word "FATAL" too strong. In my experience, fatal errors are
> those after which further checking is impossible. The current errors are
> not of that severity.

Ok.

> - Most gcc users (including me) are already familiar with the words
> "error" and "warning". Users of Borland Delphi also know the word
> "hint", which I will most probably add very soon. I also think that
> "WARN" is a useless abbreviation and should have been "WARNING".

It's not useless, it keeps the alignment of the output.

> - The keyword "OK" does not have a clear meaning. The new keyword "info"
> precedes information for the user, if only for debugging purposes.

Whats wrong with using OK?
For me it says that there is no problem and INFO would be just some information
which doesn't bring it to the point that everything is ok.

> - I don't like uppercase letters. ;)

This is not a real reason for doing it.
I personally like the uppercase ones.

Bernd