Subject: how do I install to site_perl with new pkgsrc perl (5.8.7)?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/2005 16:34:21
I don't understand what could be wrong here, but using the new perl
5.8.7 I cannot get anything to install to site_perl. The usual
incantations of

	perl Makefile.PL
		[or perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site to hammer it]
	make
	make test
	sudo make install

always end with

Use of uninitialized value in -d at
/Volumes/NetBSD/pkg/lib/perl5/5.8.0/File/Path.pm line 159.
fileparse(): need a valid pathname at
/Volumes/NetBSD/pkg/lib/perl5/5.8.0/File/Path.pm line 160
make: *** [pure_site_install] Error 2

pkgsrc-managed installations (to vendor_perl) proceed without problems.
If I attempt to install a given module both ways, and compare the two
Makefiles, the only differences are that the pkgsrc one mentions
'vendor' where the by-hand one mentions 'site' (which is what I would
expect).

Is this a general problem or do the gods not like me today?

What is the correct way to get things installed to site_perl?

Thanks,
Mark