Subject: Re: version-specific directories for new (5.8.7) Perl are 5.8.0 and
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/2005 18:06:15
On 8/6/05 17:40, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 05:30:40PM -0400, Mark E. Perkins wrote:
>
> This is by choice.  We now install all perl modules in a directory
> that is versioned to match the Perl ABI version instead of the actual
> version.  This makes the most sense since pkgsrc only allows a single
> version of perl to be installed at a time.  If the Perl ABI is the
> same between different versions of perl, then modules can be reused.

Reasonable enough. I remember reading this in some of your earlier posts.

>>I have quite a few self-installed and pkgsrc-installed modules in those
>>5.8.4 and 5.8.6 site_perl directories. Am I really going to have to
>>install every one of them again?
>

> Yes.  This was a big change that I've posted to tech-pkg@ several
> times already so that users would have a heads-up.  Using the new perl
> framework, reinstalling modules won't be necessary after future perl
> updates.

This one slipped by me somehow. In the past it seemed I could always get
away with only reinstalling a few modules that broke for obscure
reasons, and I guess I was assuming that would still be the case. But if
I never have to worry about it again (for same ABI version at least),
that's worth something....

Mark