Subject: Re: audio/bmp fails to build
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/01/2005 02:28:41
--------------040103070607000402060606

Roland Illig wrote:
> segv wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know a quick fix for the error below:
>>
>> cd: can't cd to {DESTDIR}/usr/X11R6/lib
>> libtool: link: cannot determine absolute directory name of `
>> {DESTDIR}/usr/X11R6/lib' *** Error code 1
>

> I just committed a fix (pkgsrc/mk/x11.buildlink3.mk, revision 1.3), but
> I don't know why it failed. :(

I just found the reason. It was something like the sequence in the
appended Makefile. This is a very special case. Try to experiment with
the foo.mk Makefile, as anything you do will change the output. ;)

En passant I found out that you cannot .undef a variable that has been
passed via the make(1) environment.

Lots of tricky details ...

Roland

--------------040103070607000402060606

.undef UNDEFINED

# this variable references the undefined variable
UNDEF_REF=	${UNDEFINED}

# here the reference is quoted
VARS+=		${UNDEF_REF:Q}

# and the current value is assigned to another variable
VARS_VALUE:=	${VARS}

all:
	@echo VARS=${VARS:Q}""
	@echo VARS_VALUE=${VARS_VALUE:Q}""