Subject: Re: slow builds on interix
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/26/2005 15:44:43
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Arto Huusko wrote:

> I just tried pkgsrc on Interix today. However, there seems to be
> something wrong with my setup, because pkgsrc builds seem very slow.
>
> And the problem does not seem to be Interix itself, because if I
> extract the package source code somewhere and do manually
> configure and make, everything happens very snappily indeed.

The problem is Interix, but not the Interix subsystem.  It's actually
because Interix's shell is horribly slow (/bin/sh, which is actually
/bin/ksh -- a very old version of pdksh).

I've been working on porting NetBSD's much faster sh(1) to Interix, but that
has stalled lately due to a nasty crash of my one Windoze box.  However, it
was rebuilt last week, so I may try my hand at that again.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>