Subject: article: Best practices for portable patches
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/26/2005 21:05:35
Maybe of interest to pkgsrc folks:

``One of the things I usually take care of as a Gentoo packages maintainer
is sending patches to upstream developers. If a patch is applied upstream,
we can remove it from future versions of a package so we have less work to
do to maintain the package. Unfortunately, it seems that other
distributions and packagers don't always do the same. This is true not
only for Linux distributions such as Debian, Fedora Core, and SUSE, but
also for maintainers of packages in places like FreeBSD's Ports,
DarwinPorts or Fink. Here are some tips for developers on making things
easier for yourself and everyone who has to touch your code.''

[http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/07/19/1713230&tid=53]

  - Hubert