Subject: Bogus graphviz dependencies?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2005 10:55:43
I was trying to build kdevelop to play with it.

I got stopped by kdevelop-base wanting graphviz.  graphviz does
not have a standard acceptable license for the default pkgsrc
LICENSES.  So it stops you cold.

I decided to try removing the dependency and see if it still builds.
I just commented out the Makefile line that references graphviz.

It stopped again, now in kdelibdocs3, I believe.  Removed again.

As I type this, the build is proceeding.  I hope that it will
complete.

We had this same problem with Doxygen.  In that case, the
problem was resolved by removing the dependency.  The consensus
was that it was bad to have not-strictly-necessary dependencies
on things that break a normal build.

Assuming that kdevelop builds without graphviz, can this be fixed
in pkgsrc?  Either put it in an option variable, make a "-graphvix"
(or "-nographviz") variant package a' la emacs-nox11, or if kdevelop
is able to make a runtime detection of graphviz, just ommit the
dependency (and perhaps add a post-installation note about graphviz)?

If course, if the KDE people in their wisdom chose to make graphviz
an absolute requirement for kdevelop...

Since I don't know how long it will take to complete the build, I'm
sending this email now.  I don't know if all will build (even ignoring
this issue, KDE often has issues; (^&).  Much less do I know that the
result will be completely correct.