Subject: fonts ... where should they go?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/19/2005 18:27:24
I brought this up before ...

Where should fonts be installed?

I just imported fonts/freefont-ttf. I install the TTF fonts to
${PREFIX}/share/fonts/freefont/.

rainier:/usr/pkgsrc$ fc-list | grep ^Free
rainier:/usr/pkgsrc$

But on another system:

montecristo:~/netbsd$ fc-list | grep ^Free
FreeMono:style=BoldOblique
FreeSans:style=Medium
FreeSerif:style=BoldItalic
FreeMono:style=Oblique
FreeSerif:style=Italic
FreeSans:style=Oblique
FreeSans:style=BoldOblique
FreeMono:style=Medium
FreeSerif:style=Bold
FreeSerif:style=Medium
FreeMono:style=Bold
FreeSans:style=Bold
montecristo:~/netbsd

I could use above in Abiword because of fontconfig:

My fonts.conf has the share/fonts directory.

These fonts can be used without X. Fontconfig can use see them.

I think that fonts should go under ${PREFIX}/share/fonts. This is what
some other operating systems do.

And fontconfig should default to include ${PREFIX}/share/fonts as a
directory to look at.

The fonts under pkgsrc/fonts are installed to all different locations. I
think it should be organized.

Especially since most groff and tex and other fonts can be used fine
elsewhere (as seen by configuring fontconfig and testing with abiword).

${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large
${X11ROOT_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/misc

(The above varies depending on X installed. I think we should allow using
any for either.)

lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
lib/X11/fonts/Mozilla
lib/X11/fonts/PEX
lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
lib/X11/fonts/TTF
lib/X11/fonts/Type1
lib/X11/fonts/Xg
lib/X11/fonts/artwiz
lib/X11/fonts/biznet/100dpi
lib/X11/fonts/biznet/75dpi
lib/X11/fonts/biznet/misc
lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
lib/X11/fonts/intlfonts
lib/X11/fonts/intlfonts/bdf
lib/X11/fonts/jmk
lib/X11/fonts/local
lib/X11/fonts/local/bulgarian-mik/75dpi
lib/X11/fonts/local/bulgarian-mik/misc
lib/X11/fonts/local/mac-cyrillic/75dpi
lib/X11/fonts/local/mac-cyrillic/misc
lib/X11/fonts/local/windows-1251/75dpi
lib/X11/fonts/local/windows-1251/misc
lib/X11/fonts/local/winlatin-1/75dpi
lib/X11/fonts/local/winlatin-1/misc
lib/X11/fonts/misc
lib/X11/fonts/misc/sgi
share/Adobe/Resource/pdfcorefonts/chinese_s
share/Adobe/Resource/pdfcorefonts/chinese_t
share/Adobe/Resource/pdfcorefonts/japanese
share/Adobe/Resource/pdfcorefonts/korean
share/fonts/TTF
share/fonts/freefont
share/fonts/freefonts (I patched this locally)
share/fonts/watanabe_font
share/ghostscript/fonts
share/texmf/dvips/ec-fonts-mftraced
share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/ec-fonts-mftraced
share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/ec-fonts-mftraced
share/texmf/ttf2tfm/base

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/