Subject: Re: Pending perl changes
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/2005 14:12:09
Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
>>This avoids man page conflicts between standard Perl library modules,
>>3rd-party modules, and other packages.  There is a script not present in
>>the diff I sent that manages symlinks into /usr/pkg/bin and /usr/pkg/man
>>for installed Perl modules so that they may be used without any changes
>>to your PATH, MANPATH, etc.
>

> There should be NO special handling required to get *applications* into
> $PREFIX/bin, even if they use MakeMaker.  If that is not the default
> behavior, the changes are broken.

I disagree.  What would normally be installed into /usr/pkg/bin (the
"script" directory for a perl module) is now installed into
/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/bin and then symlinked over into
/usr/pkg/bin.  This allows installing perl modules that are also in the
base perl distribution but that would also install scripts that, before
these changes, would conflict with perl's own scripts, but would now
simply be replaced via symlink instead.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>