Subject: Re: devel/nss and Linux
To: Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/10/2005 17:57:07
On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 07:59:09AM +1200, Matthew Luckie wrote:

> >-L${BUILDLINK_PREFIX.nspr}/lib/nspr when ever -lplc4 is used?
>
> i don't know how to fix the above problem, without having a linux
> machine myself.  if you have a patch for this, open a PR.
>
> >The second problem was that pkgsrc Makefile assumes the files to be
> >installed are at ${OPSYS}${OS_VERSION}_OPT.OBJ (Linux2.6.9_OPT.OBJ), but
> >on my system they were at Linux2.6_x86_glibc_PTH_OPT.OBJ.
>
> I have a fair idea on how to fix this.  but it isn't pretty.  the nss
> build system is really unpleasant and I doubt nss even compiles on
> FreeBSD with pkgsrc (although I have not had a bug report about it).
>
> so if you take the first problem, i'll take the second.  i'm in the
> middle of writing my thesis at the moment, so it will be a day before i
> get the time to sort this.

I don't think nss has really been widely enough tested; it doesn't
install correctly for me on either Linux or Solaris, two of the most
popular platforms. my target package is chat/gaim in this case.

what is the possibility of adding an option to build gaim w/ gnutls,
which has been in pkgsrc longer and is more widely used in general? I
understand there are/were licensing issues with gaim and openssl, but
I recall the "recommendation" was to use gnutls.

also, I don't there is a problem with providing an option to use
openssl, as long as it is not the default, as it is the end user's
responsibility to ensure they are not violating the license.

thoughts?

grant.