Subject: Re: MySQL is still broken for 1.6.2
To: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2005 23:08:11
On Thursday 07 July 2005 15:37, Carl Brewer wrote:
> John Klos wrote:
> > Doesn't anyone still use 1.6.2?
> >
> > checking HIST_ENTRY is declared in readline/readline.h... yes
> > configure: error: Could not find system readline or libedit libraries
> >           Use --with-readline or --with-libedit to use the bundled
> >           versions of libedit or readline
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > I'll submit a PR.
>
> I did, months ago :
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=30364

To be picky that was only 1 and a bit months ago but anyway...

The problem seems to be that on 1.6.2 this test fails:

    checking libedit variant of rl_completion_entry_function... no

and that fails because of this error in the test program:

  conftest.cc:217: initialization to `char' from `char *' lacks a cast

and this is because on 1.6.2 rl_completion_entry_function is defined as

  extern CPFunction       *rl_completion_entry_function;

whereas on newer NetBSD's its defined as

  extern Function         *rl_completion_entry_function;

Unfortunately I don't know enough about libedit to know if this is just a
problem with the configure test or implies a significant enough difference to
the API to make it not useable.

cheers
mark