Subject: Re: Dependencies, including "make update" issues.
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/05/2005 17:20:16
On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 04:03:24PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> On Mon 04 Jul 2005 at 19:16:48 -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > old problem that has been discussed a year or more ago: Namely, you
> > install and remove some package, but the dependency packages can linger
> > around---even when you don't want them.  The desire is to, with little or
>
> How about pkg_delete -R foo ?

It doesn't remove the dependencies of foo. Let's talk about a real
example. I'm installing Scribus, which depends on Qt3. For Qt3,
CUPS is installed because it is activated via the option.

After a while, I want to update Scribus and have changed the default
for CUPS to be disabled. Qt is changed in the mean time too and is now
updated. We have now current versions of Scribus and Qt3-lib, the
orphant CUPS is still installed.

Under Debian this is solved by distinguishing between packages the admin
has choosen and those which are installed to solve dependencies. The latter
are reference counted and removed when no longer needed.

Joerg