Subject: Re: Dependencies, including "make update" issues.
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/04/2005 19:16:48
Joerg, I don't think that I misunderstood you.  I don't recall you
taking part in this thread prior to your reply to me on July 3.  (^&

I was proposing, in the portion that you replied to, a solution to an
old problem that has been discussed a year or more ago: Namely, you
install and remove some package, but the dependency packages can linger
around---even when you don't want them.  The desire is to, with little or
no additional effort, remove them.  The problem with the "extra" packages
is that they can cause security issues or can get tangled up in some of
the massive "make update" rebuilds---potentially causing "make update"
to fail over a package that you don't actually want installed anyway.

Although I seem to recall a loosely related thread recently on tech-pkg,
the direction I was pursuing was not, I think, directly related to any
recent thread.  (^&