Subject: Re: Dependencies, including "make update" issues.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/03/2005 14:44:56
On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Richard Rauch wrote:

> > To address this concern, I have a pkgsrc/local tree containing my own
> > meta-pkgs for each system I have, including everything I need for that
> > system.  Basically, the meta-pkg depends on *everything* (directly or
> > indirectly) with a bunch of lines like:
>
> You're still down to having to remember to set this up for packages that
> you want to keep.  If libA gets installed "incidentally" and you forget
> to put it into your meta-pkg, I don't see how you're any better off.

Well, as you say:

> (Though I guess it avoids creating a special tool, or sub-command on an
> existing tool...)

but for me, it's mainly that I more readily "keep in mind" what I want to
keep for my own outside-of-pkgsrc use.  This mnemonic approach probably
won't work for everyone, but I've found it to be a better way to remember
what should be installed explicitly.

> > Coupled with the script below, which lists all packages with no dependents,
> > I know very quickly if a package is no longer needed.  I simply run the
>
> So you manually pkg_delete the "unneeded" packages?  Or do you have the
> packages on the list automatically deleted?

Yes, I delete manually.  Again, it gives me a perspective of visibility, so
I can decide "oh, yeah, I needed that thing anyway!" at pkg_delete cleanup
time.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>