Subject: Re: building from pkgsrc on NetBSD/AMD64
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/01/2005 16:31:52
In article <01a901c57da8$184526d0$0d01a8c0@kormar.net>,
	"Robert Cates" <robert@kormar.net> writes:
> Once I've installed NetBSD/AMD64 and choose my software from pkgsrc, will
> the software be built and installed in 64-bit?

Yes, it will. But unfortunately that's not always for the better because
a lot of 3rd party programs don't work properly if they are compiled
as 64 Bit binaries.

This is one of the reasons why Sun uses a hybrid approach in Solaris.
You get 32 bit and 64 bit libraries and only a necessary few 64 bit
applications (e.g. "truss"). Things like e.g. Mozilla are 32 bit
applications which therefore don't suffer from bugs caused by
lack of 64 bit portability.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/