Subject: Re: "make install" owerwrites files without asking
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/30/2005 18:34:47
On Jun 30, 2005, at 6:13 PM, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:18:45AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> Yes, I do agree it is a lot of work. Nevertheless, they must be
>> wrapped in
>> one way or another if we are to make them do staged installs too
>> -- in the
>> case that many don't allow changing destination directory after
>> the build
>> is completed just for the install step.
> Are there really many of them? I don't believe Debian or OpenBSD does
> this. I think they rather patch the packages to allow setting the
> destination directory.

I think there are rather rare, since many developers tend to support
this feature in order to have a chance to see their software packages
by debian
(they recommend to use this in their maintainer guide http://
www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html, and those patches
are usually pulled upstream).
Also, the darwinport project (just another bsd-style package tree)
uses this approach, and the amount of packages to modify in this
respect is rather small.

antoine