Subject: Re: "make install" owerwrites files without asking
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/30/2005 08:18:45
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> > (See my other email about using mtree specification as other idea.)
>
> It seems that the other idea requires providing shell wrappers for
> install, cp, chown/chmod, pax and other utilities, am I right? This seems
> to be a lot of work.

Yes, I do agree it is a lot of work. Nevertheless, they must be wrapped in
one way or another if we are to make them do staged installs too -- in the
case that many don't allow changing destination directory after the build
is completed just for the install step.

> Mtree specificatins are otherwise complementary to fakeroot, because
> fakeroot just stops chmod et al. from complaining, while mtree
> specifications would tell pkg_create what the desired metadata actually
> are.

That reminds me. Does fakeroot help at all with making a package that
properly has ownership, groups, permissions for extraction on another box?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/