Subject: Re: "make install" owerwrites files without asking
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2005 09:42:06
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> > Yes, that would be really good.  But I guess some packages will complain
> > when doing "make install" as an unprivileged user if they can't set suid
> > permissions for example.
>
> Not if fakeroot (http://packages.debian.org/fakeroot) is used.

From package description: "i.e. to remove the need to become root for a
package build. This is done by setting LD_PRELOAD to libfakeroot.so, which
provides wrappers around getuid, chown, chmod, mknod, stat, and so on,
thereby creating a fake root environment." and "fakeroot requires SYSV IPC
to operate."

This sounds useful as an optional idea. I don't know how much time is
involved for reimplementing this for all the Unix platforms pkgsrc
supports though. And maybe currently impossible (I don't know) on some of
our pkgsrc platforms.

(See my other email about using mtree specification as other idea.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/