Subject: Re: "make install" owerwrites files without asking
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2005 09:29:06
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:49:56PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > A solution for this could be based on FAKE installs, like OpenBSD Ports
> > have.  The packages own "make install" is done to a temporary directory,
> > then a package is created, and this package is pkg_add'ed on the system
> > (in NetBSD make package needs a make install first, which is sometimes
> > not desirable).
>
> I'll be implementing that soon.

You may want to look at the ideas and patches from jmmv from last April
2004.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2005/06/03/0039.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/04/08/0000.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/04/08/0020.html
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmmv/staged.diff

(Also, staged installs were announced to be integrated into pkgsrc in June
2001.  I don't know what happened then.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/