Subject: Re: "make install" owerwrites files without asking
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2005 15:21:14
On Jun 29, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:49:56PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>
>> A solution for this could be based on FAKE installs, like OpenBSD
>> Ports
>> have.  The packages own "make install" is done to a temporary
>> directory,
>> then a package is created, and this package is pkg_add'ed on the
>> system
>> (in NetBSD make package needs a make install first, which is
>> sometimes
>> not desirable).
>
> I'll be implementing that soon.

This looks like the way darwinports do installs package. They use the
destroot functionality packages using autotools support, to install
the package in a fake root directory under work.
this fake root directory is  populated with a directory hierarchy
matching the actual one.
This approach makes a little less easy to create packages for tools
not using autotools and which do not support this destroot
functionality, but there are some benefits. It is very easy then to
check if PLIST is respected, to compress manpages, or check all
manpages are installed in the correct directory ( PKGDIR/man or
PKGDIR/share/man ). Also this make possible (maybe not always) to do
the full build including make install under normal user rights, and
use root user only for pkgsrc stuff: moving/copying files, setting
rights, and so on.
I love this idea of using the root accound only to do things checked
by the pkgsrc infrastructure, so i'm sure whatever the package
makefile contains, nothing really wrong can happen.

regards,
antoine