Subject: Re: circular dependence if GCC_REQD=3 on NetBSD 1.6.2
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/28/2005 22:24:55
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 02:31:45PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Klaus Heinz wrote:
>
> > I just tried to start a (partial) build of pkgsrc-2005Q2 on NetBSD 1.6.2.
> > GCC_REQD=3 was set in /etc/mk.conf,
>
> This does not belong in mk.conf; see comment in mk/compiler.mk:
>
> # GCC_REQD
> #       A list of version numbers used to determine the minimum
> #       version of GCC required by a package.  This value should only
> #       be appended to by a package Makefile.
>
> You want USE_PKGSRC_GCC instead:
>
> # USE_PKGSRC_GCC
> #       Force using the appropriate version of GCC from pkgsrc based on
> #       GCC_REQD instead of the native compiler.  Should only be set in
> #       /etc/mk.conf.
>
> which, as a minimum, ias already known to be gcc3.

Actually, I did mean for USE_PKGSRC_GCC to be deprecated, and for
GCC_REQD to be the correct thing to set in /etc/mk.conf.  Unfortunately,
sometime before the last branch, this was broken (probably by me to
be completely honest), and it's still pending a fix.  I am working on
one (which is a rewrite of some parts of the pkgsrc infrastructure),
and I have made this a priority for pkgsrc-2005Q3.  I don't have any
details as yet, but I'll write up a short description for tech-pkg in
the coming weeks.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>