Subject: Re: "make install" owerwrites files without asking
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2005 18:26:55
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:13:16AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>
> > Why??? I looked at the PLIST for libxen and all the information needed to
> > prevent this problem was there:
>
> Some PLISTs are dynamic, auto-generated.

OK, isn't this a reason to not have dynamic PLISTs? Another reason being
that having an independent PLIST allows to check if the files were
installed correctly (I saw a case where a package created a /icons
directory!)

(Third reason being that all the existing PLISTs could be collected and
make available through a search engine. Sometimes I know what command I
want, but don't know what package contains it -
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents can be very
useful.)

Thanks for your interest and bye	pavel