Subject: Re: Problems with pkgsrc on NetBSD 1.6...
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/27/2005 09:19:26
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 07:00:02AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > When trying to do so, I was told that I needed to update
> > pkg_install, but pkg_install won't install due to complaints
> > in the use of pkg_admin.
>
> What specific errors?
>
> > Is 1.6 simply no longer supported by pkgsrc?  I can provide logs
> > or file a PR if there's interest.  However, as 1.6 is nearing the
> > end of its life of support from NetBSD.org, maybe pkgsrc is also
> > getting ready to cut it loose...
>
> Yes, please provide some details about this.

I did a 'make >&log' in pkg_install, and the log is short, so:

 /~~~

===> Checking for vulnerabilities in pkg_install-20050607
===> Installing for pkg_install-20050607
===> usage: pkg_admin [-V] command args ...
Where 'commands' and 'args' are:
 rebuild                     - rebuild pkgdb from +CONTENTS files
 check [pkg ...]             - check md5 checksum of installed files
 lsall /path/to/pkgpattern   - list all pkgs matching the pattern
 lsbest /path/to/pkgpattern  - list pkgs matching the pattern best
 dump                        - dump database
 pmatch pattern pkg          - returns true if pkg matches pattern, false else i
s already installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may use either of:
***  - "pkg_delete usage: pkg_admin [-V] command args ...
Where 'commands' and 'args' are:
 rebuild                     - rebuild pkgdb from +CONTENTS files
 check [pkg ...]             - check md5 checksum of installed files
 lsall /path/to/pkgpattern   - list all pkgs matching the pattern
 lsbest /path/to/pkgpattern  - list pkgs matching the pattern best
 dump                        - dump database
 pmatch pattern pkg          - returns true if pkg matches pattern, false else"
and "/usr/bin/make reinstall" to upgrade properly
***  - "/usr/bin/make update" to rebuild the package and all of its dependencies
***  - "/usr/bin/make replace" to replace only the package without re-linking
***    dependencies, risking various problems.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install

 \___

Unfortunately, I needed the system to be operational and wiped the
disk.  It's now got 2.0.x on it.

However, it was a stock, fresh 1.6 (not 1.6.x) install.  I had just
reinstalled it---including newfs---since previously it had been
running a mish-mash of -current kernel & userland and I needed to
straighten that out.

I have a spare system that I might try putting back on 1.6 to test
this when I have a bit more time.