Subject: "make install" owerwrites files without asking
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/26/2005 14:20:34
Hello,

I installed libxen from pkgsrc-wip and at the end, the following was
printed:

===> Registering installation for libxen-2.0.6
pkg_create: Overwriting /usr/pkg/include/xc.h - pkg xentools12-040418 bogus/conflicting?
pkg_create: Overwriting /usr/pkg/lib/libxc.so - pkg xentools12-040418 bogus/conflicting?

This warning was not very useful, because those files belonging to
xentools12 were already overwritten when it was printed.

Shouldn't the check for conflicting files be performed before the actual
installation, instead of after it? Currently, a package without explicit
conflict can damage other installed packages, which seems wrong to me.

Bye	Pavel