Subject: Re: bin-install and package targets
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/24/2005 18:45:52
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, J Chapman Flack wrote:

> ccatrian@eml.cc wrote:
> > In fact, that's my case, using bin-install as a DEPENDS_TARGET, but the
> > normal behaviour of bin-install is - install the local available package -
> > or - fetch it from the net.
> >
> > I would like to make a package if a local package doesn't exist.
>
> I would override BINPKG_SITES to include no nonlocal sites. Then if you
> have the package locally cached in packages/All, it gets installed;
> otherwise (as there is no other place to look for the binary package) the
> source build is performed.  Would that serve your purpose?

A problem with bin-install target is that it will rebuild a package if
your existing package  is not the latest version -- even if it is good
enough. See my simple improvement I posted earlier to provide basically
same functionality. (I do "bmake MY_BIN_INSTALL=1 package".)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/