Subject: Re: Solaris: native Xrender not recognized
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2005 13:43:22
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> leaving aside that pkgsrc/mk/buildlink3/imake-check has on Solaris,
> there are problems recognizing the builtin Xrender. There is a Xrender.h
> present, but the problem's deeper, as not even the OpenWindows Version
> is recorded properly in BUILTIN_X11_VERSION.native - this also happens
> for Irix and OSF/1. The patch to version.mk is a cludge which the
> variable to _something_. It's not ready for primetime.

No version is determined by design.  Until someone provides a way to
determine the version of those X11 distributions, it's supposed to be
okay to have BUILTIN_X11_VERSION.native be undefined.

> With BUILTIN_X11_VERSION.native set, pkgsrc/x11/Xrender/builtin.mk then
> doesn't know how to determine if Xrender is present on the named
> OpenWindows version, as no corresponding
> _BLTN_XRENDER_${_version_}.openwin variable is set. Again this is also
> the case for other systems like Irix etc. The second patch below does
> _something_ here again, but it's also more an indicator where to fill in
> real data, and not ready for use too.

Is this something that you saw through testing or by code inspection?  I
wasn't able to test on a Solaris system as I don't have access to one,
but the Xrender/builtin.mk file should simply not be setting a value for
BUILTIN_PKG.Xrender on OpenWindows, which skips the version number check
later on in the file.  By default, Xrender/builtin.mk, on any X11
distribution, will use the built-in Xrender as long as

    (1) Xrender.h exists, and
    (2) The imake check for the BuildRenderLibrary symbol is passed.

Now, there is a default PREFER_PKGSRC+=Xrender in mk/defaults/mk.conf
which will force the use of the pkgsrc Xrender which may not be
appropriate for OpenWindows, but that is a separate issue.

> I don't know how to determine the OpenWindows Version here, else I could
> at least tell one version that has Xrender - fwiw, I'm running Solaris
> 9/x86 here, somewhat patched.

If you find a reliable way to determine the OpenWindows version, please
let me know.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>