Subject: Some more GNOME 1 candidates for removal
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2005 12:31:23
Hi,

[I'm CC'ing the maintainers of any of the packages listed below.]

I have prepared a list of some more GNOME 1 specific packages that
should be removed from pkgsrc (remember that a lot of them were already
nuked not so long ago).  The reason is that they are obsolete, no longer
maintained by the mainstream authors and make some global changes in
pkgsrc more difficult.  I guess some of them may even have security
vulnerabilities, even if not discovered yet.

To create the list I've grepped for all the packages depending on
gnome-libs.  Then, I examined them one by one, removing the ones that
are needed for gnucash, and others that are not dead but should be
updated to their respective GNOME 2 versions (such as mrproject).

The list of packages is:

	archivers/cxunzip
	audio/gdcd
	audio/yamt
	devel/gscope
	finance/emma
	finance/gnofin
	games/copter-commander
	games/gtkgo
	graphics/gnome-iconedit
	mail/balsa
	mail/evolution12
	mail/spruce
	math/guppi
	misc/hitchhiker
	net/gtksamba
	wm/icewm-gnome
	wm/sawfish
	wm/sawfish-replibs
	wm/sawfish-themes
	x11/gdm1
	x11/gnome-gkrellm
	x11/rep-gtk (removing this one means removing sawfish*)

Does anybody see any compelling reason to keep any of these?  (Not
"someone, somewhere may need it", please.)

Could we do this cleanup before the branch is cut?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/