Subject: pkgsrc primary tools [was Re: Master sites randomization]
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/13/2005 12:01:11
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:05:28 +0200
Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:41:07AM +0300, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> [..]
> > Fortunatelly, current NetBSD make(1) already have a variable
> > randomization modifier - ':Ox'. It's action is shown by the following
> > example:
> [..]
>
> > But before doing this change, the ':Ox' feature must be integrated into
> > bootstrap/bmake, which is based on ancient bmake-3, which is dates from
> > Oct 2001.
> >
> > I can pullup the ':Ox' into this bmake version. Or possible someone is
> > working on updating it (say, after the pkgsrc freeze will be over)?
>
> This feature maybe nice for the MASTER_SITES, but as allready noted we
> have a problem with previous NetBSD version, which are right now supported.
>
> At least this new make feature needs to be pulled up to all relevant branches
> before we can even thing about adding it to pkgsrc.

Accordingly to my previous post [1] we should check the version of
tools installed and, if mistmatch was detected, ask user to
"rebootstrap" the pkgsrc.

The second stage can be done via rebuilding pkgsrc/bootstrap, or by
using pkgsrc tools itself (like it done for pkgtools/pkg_install).

But please note we must consistently detect the tools used by pkgsrc in
any case. At this moment the bmake, tnftp, mtree, and sed (missing
something?) doesn't provides such capability.

--
Mishka.

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2005/06/07/0026.html